Monday 20 January 2014

John Montagu Cafe (Wooloomooloo)

On Sun 19 January, 2014

John Montagu
Wooloomooloo










Tucked away in Wooloomooloo, a small sandwich cafe which only opened in Nov '13, run by a few enthusiastic & young individuals. The menu is short and simple, but the quality of the sandwiches are nothing short of flavours!

Elderflower and Mint Soda 
We started off with a refreshing drink that looks like a mojito cocktail, Elderflower and Mint Soda. A perfect drink in the hot summer time. The heat in your body seems to be melting away while you are sipping with the cooling drink.

We were sitting outside of the restaurant, right next to the entrance, as we were waiting for the rest of my friends to arrive, the aroma of the food coming through the entrance door just make you salivating constantly. I knew that I am here for a good meal!

After everyone has arrived, we started to order our food. I came here for the 12 hours beef cheeks sandwich, and it came with no disappointments. The beef cheeks are tender and the BBQ sauce has got some depth in it. For some, it might be a bit too overpowering, but I reckon it is perfect for a bloke's sandwich. Some of us also ordered for the Mushroom sandwich with truffled coddled egg, the smell of the truffle made me wishing I have a second stomach.
Field mushrooms, truffled parmesan,
garlic creme fraiche, rocket,
multigrainand a truffled coddled egg

12 hours beef cheeks, cheddar, sauerkraut,
spanish onion, house glaze, white

Iced Coffee
Regular Cappuccino
Finished the gourmet sandwich with a cup of coffee, that's my kind of weekend. The coffee was not bad, I would have loved to have a stronger coffee, but purely personal preference. The Iced Coffee is served in a jar, simple and rustic. 
The Petite Breakfast Board was taken off from the menu. When spoken to the owner about the disappointment of some in the group about this, he mentioned that it was taken off from the menu because it didn't reflect what they want to display on the dish, hence they are reviewing it. You can feel the passion about the food is in every single dish that comes out from the kitchen.

I was hoping that I can try the house cured salmon with my partner ordering a different sandwich, unfortunately they ran out of salmon. I guess just another excuse for me to come back again!

Overall, here is my opinion for this cafe...
Cafe: 8 / 10; Coffee: 7 / 10; Food: 9.5 / 10
Comments: A cafe recommended to catch up with a small group (up to 4) of friends.

John Montagu
144 Cathedral Street, Wooloomooloo
Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 - 16:00

Facebook: Link / Google Map

No comments:

Post a Comment